We’re looking for a pragmatic and evidence-driven Content Designer to translate user and business needs into content requirements, ensuring that users get the right information, at the right point in their journey and in the best format.
You’ll design content for the end-to-end product or service journey across multiple channels, taking into account any policy or legal constraints, and drawing on user research insights to continuously iterate and improve.
Essential skills and experience
- Designing content that meets user needs, considering and where appropriate challenging any legal or policy constraints, to ensure that information is easy for users to understand and act upon
- Selecting the most appropriate content type to meet user needs in a given context, e.g. text, images, videos and online/offline
- Understanding and adhering to best practices for writing for the web, e.g. writing in Plain English, ensuring scannability and front-loading key information
- Ensuring content is accessible to everyone, including users with visual, hearing, mobility and cognitive impairments, achieving AA standard as a minimum.
- Providing and implementing recommendations for content iterations or improvements based on regular user research, analytics, behavioural data and testing feedback
- Communicating your ideas and rationale/evidence clearly and persuasively to team members and stakeholders, advocating for the importance of good content design
- Comfortable working remotely, and willing to travel to client sites when needed
- Desirable skills and experience
- Content strategy experience, supporting clients to develop their own user-centred content practices and governance, including tone of voice, editorial standards and content operations
- Previous experience of working on government services, delivering to the Government Service Standard
- Previous experience of working within an agile delivery environment, as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience and understanding of other areas of user-centred design, such as User Research or Interaction Design, in order to support the wider team where needed
- Experience of mentoring and upskilling other people in user-centred content design methods and ways of working
Values and behaviours
- Approach your work with curiosity, focus and attention to detail
- Work openly and transparently, actively sharing learnings with the wider Difrent and client teams through communities of practice, and externally through blogs or podcasts
- Comfortable managing competing priorities and requests, and delivering at pace
- Proactive and take ownership of your work, knowing what needs to be done and delivering to a high standard
- Collaborate and build relationships with team members within and outside of your own discipline, combining your expertise to co-design the best solution for the user and the organisation